Realty Trust Group, LLC (“RTG”) is a health care real estate advisory and services firm serving health systems and physician groups. RTG is focused on helping clients reduce costs, create value, and support broader strategic objectives in the operations of their real estate portfolios through an extensive, integrative service platform including Advisory, Operations, Capital Projects and Transaction services. Formed in 1998, RTG has offices in Knoxville, TN, Atlanta, GA, Johnson City, TN, and Greensboro, NC. For more information, please visit RTG’s website at www.realtytrustgroup.com.
JOB DESCRIPTION and RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Regulatory Compliance Intern primarily works in RTG’s Regulatory Compliance Service Line, providing research and writing support in the areas of the “Stark Law,” “the Federal Anti-Kickback Statute,” “the Federal False Claims Act (Civil and Criminal),” the “Federal Civil Monetary Penalty Act,” the provisions of the Medicare carrier manual, Medicare and Medicaid statutes and regulations, and the equivalent state statutes and regulations as they relate to the healthcare real estate industry, as well as reviewing and analyzing lease agreements, timeshare licenses, property management agreements, and other contracts related to the healthcare real estate industry. From time to time, the Regulatory Compliance Intern may also be asked to assist RTG’s in-house counsel with drafting and revising various types of contracts the firm or its affiliates enter into and provide assistance to other RTG service lines. The compliance intern will report directly to the Vice President for Compliance. Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide support as directed on RTG’s Regulatory Compliance Service Line engagements, which will include, but not be limited to, reviewing, analyzing, and revising healthcare real estate compliance policies, lease agreements, timeshare licenses, property management agreements, and other contracts related to the healthcare industry, lease abstracting, conducting fair market value and commercial reasonableness analyses as it relates to healthcare real estate, memo and report drafting, and document review and management.
- Research assigned healthcare regulatory issues as they relate to the healthcare real estate industry and draft memos regarding the same.
- Assist with drafting and revising various types of contracts RTG enters into during regular course of business.
- Perform other assigned work as directed by management.
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Excellent people and analytical skills
- Ability to work both independently and within a professional team environment
- Strong communicator
- Detail oriented
- Problem solver
- Able to accept constructive criticism
- Timely decision-maker
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- The candidate must be enrolled in law school and pursuing a J.D.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Real Estate, Healthcare, or related field is preferred.
- Second or Third Year Law Students (2Ls and 3Ls).
- Previous experience in healthcare and/or real estate industries is preferred.
ALLOCATION OF TIME
- Business / Client Development – 0%
- Client / Project Work – 50%
- Administrative – 50%
- The regulatory compliance intern is expected to work around 20 hours per week